My Big Hair Chop!
So I recently chopped my hair!!! In case you don’t know, I have been transitioning for the past 16 months. For those of you not aware of what transitioning means – its when you stop using chemicals to straighten your hair but you don’t cut all your off, you leave to grow out. So you’ll be transitioning from the relaxer to your natural hair. The hair strand becomes damaged and you have to continue to apply the relaxer (chemical straightener) every few month to keep your hair sleek straight. Watch my Journey from Relaxed hair to Natural hair video or read the blog post here.
So in 2013, I decided to ditch the chemical straightener and grow my hair naturally. This means allowing it to grow in its natural state. This also means not using the chemicals, or heat.
My Hair Routine:
- Wash and condition once a week
- Apply my Shea butter mix. Watch here or read hear
- Air dry
- Apply an oil after
- Braid into cornrows
- Wash – Apple Cider Vinegar mix – mix 1:1 amount of apple cider vinegar and water
- Conditioner – I use anything but from the drugstore or super market – mostly Herbal Essence
- Cream – Shea butter mix – Watch here or read hear
- Oils – Switch between: coconut oil, almond oil, castor oil, olive oil
- Curling Cream – to get the curls you see in the video, I applied Cantu Shea Butter curling cream
Whats your hair experience?! Tell me below.